Saturday, September 7, 2013

Celebrating a Hero

It's been two weeks since I've posted anything on here! Can you believe it? I've started several posts, but I couldn't help but feel like all I was doing was complaining, so I decided against finishing them. The past two weeks have gone by so fast that it's hard to believe it. Josh went on a motorcycle trip and I went out of town, and then he started school so we've been making the hour-long-trek to Orem every day, and there's hardly been time for anything else. I got a new calling at church (I now have THREE), and I interviewed at a couple of jobs, so I've been busier than ever. And sometimes, while caught up in the obsessive details of infertility, it's good forget about it a little and be busy.

About a week ago, a Draper City law enforcement officer was randomly shot and killed, and Josh and I had the privilege of attending his funeral yesterday. It was really one of the most amazing services I've ever been to. It was held at the Maverik Center in West Valley City, and he was buried at a beautiful cemetery in Draper. The procession of police vehicles trailed all the way from the Maverik Center to the cemetery, with extra cars still in the parking lots at either end. Seeing all of the lights going gave me a sense of camaraderie within the law enforcement community that I've never felt before.

Many people between locations had pulled to the side of the road and stood, watching, as thousands of police vehicles drove past with their lights flashing. The citizens of Draper lined the streets, waving American flags and paying their respects in the ninety degree Utah heat. It made me feel incredibly sad for the police officers since it takes an officer shooting for people to remember that cops are people and that they do so much more than give tickets. When my honey is in his Army uniform, people walk up to him on a regular basis and thank him for his service, but when he's in his police uniform we have to worry about people spitting into our food. The badge makes us a target, whether we're in public or even at home. Seriously, the difference in the way that he's treated is completely shocking. The funeral was really difficult to sit through, but it made things almost okay, having my honey there. I can't help but feel guilty that I still have that luxury while that officer's wife and son do not. I'm always aware that there's a chance of something like this happening in Josh's line of work, but when it actually does happen, it's difficult to handle. It's hard to let my honey go to work, knowing there are people out there who hate him enough to kill him in cold blood. It's hard knowing that there are countless families who have lost their loved ones in the line of duty. If this video doesn't choke you up, then I don't know what will. I'm including some pictures of the services:





 

 








No comments: