Saturday, June 8, 2013

Fertile Myrtle??




Great news, folks! The doc has told me that based on their tests and my sonohysterogram yesterday, I am a fertile Myrtle! I won't lie--the sonohysterogram wasn't totally my favorite test, but it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it either. There was a little cramping during the procedure, and I totally felt my uterus get full when they filled the balloon, but it wasn't so bad. Plus, I got to see my eggs again. :) I loved that! Josh had to work and wasn't able to make it to my appointment, and that was kind of a bummer, but my mom made it to hold my hand when I got scared. I was glad she was there--especially before the procedure started--because I was so nervous!

But now we are at a tricky spot. Because when Josh's semen analysis results come in, we will have one of two outcomes: either we have unexplained infertility (which has been my big fear all along), or Joshy's swimmers aren't working. If we have unexplained infertility, I'll start on Clomid to ensure I'm ovulating every month. Clomid is a little scary because it increases our chances of twins drastically. As many of you know, Josh's mom and aunt both ended up with Clomid twins, and my doctor's wife actually ended up with twins the same way. I mean, a lot of people end up with twins while on Clomid. I'm not totally against the idea, but I know it will be hard. My doctor said that I'll have a 20% chance of conceiving twins on Clomid (and a 1% chance of triplets), but I'm at the point where I'll accept the risks in order to get a baby in my belly! That having been said, twins could put me at higher risks for complications, and I'm hoping that the complications go downhill from here.

On the other hand, if our issue is with Josh's sperm, then (hopefully) we'll get pregnant after or during his treatments. Because of his low testosterone in his blood work, Josh has been prescribed with Clomid for his use. That's kind of crazy, right? I had never heard of Clomid helping with male fertility, but I guess it's becoming increasingly common. He's on (what I think is) a super low dosage where he takes half a pill every other day, and hopefully that will be all we need to get this show on the road.

Ideally, my hypothyroidism and Josh's low testosterone levels have been our only problems with conceiving. If that's the case, I'll be really excited. If not, we will keep testing and wait for answers. Friends, I want to stress that this road can go in many directions still. I'm trying to remain skeptical and a little distanced from this because knowing I'm fertile only covers half of the potential problems. Depending on Josh's results, we may only ever be able to become pregnant with IUI or IVF. Things are still totally up in the air. While I'm incredibly grateful for the news I've gotten so far, this process is potentially still far from over. I love and appreciate all of you and the concern you've had for what's going on with us, and I just want to remind you that when we have good news, WE WILL TELL YOU! I have been open about our struggle with fertility, and I'll be open about pregnancy too. At least that's my plan. It's been therapeutic to write out my feelings and share them, and I think it would be healthy to continue. So just remember, you don't need to ask us if we are pregnant. We will be telling everyone! However, it's hard to keep telling everyone we aren't. So please don't ask. Whenever and however we end up becoming parents, we will be sharing it with everyone. I promise.

3 comments:

bobbee@triwest.net said...

Hope this works for u guys----Twins r nice. My daughter Diane has a boy & girl set of twins. GOOD LUCK!

Angel Day said...

You guys are so awesome! Praying for you guys

Brady Mac said...

You should be more open about the conception process. Haha!