Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Quest for Answers Begins!

After two years of trying to get pregnant, Joshua and I finally went to our first doctor's appointment today to figure out what's going on with us. (**Remember, we decided to wait that long because we didn't have health insurance for the last year. If you're trying to get pregnant and it's been over ONE year, it's usually recommended to visit the doctor at that point.)

Trying to get pregnant for two years is a LONG time, and it's definitely been a struggle for us to keep a positive attitude. There were many months when I felt like giving up, and have been days when I haven't felt like I could keep re-living the disappointment, but I know that when we finally do have our own family, it will be worth all of the stress and tears.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not the interesting part. Let's talk about the appointment! By the time I got to the clinic, I was a nervous wreck. I wasn't totally sure what to expect, and I was worried about what the doctor would say. I couldn't eat anything all morning, and Josh (sweetly) bought me a Big Gulp Dr. Pepper for the ride. Of course, I couldn't drink it with how nervous I was. I knew that if I drank caffeine I would just freak out with nervous energy and have to pee every five minutes of the appointment (caffeine ALWAYS does that to me!), so I just listened while Josh talked about his busy day on shift yesterday and all of the wild stuff that had happened. I'd already stayed up late into the night listening to these stories, but sometimes when you're married to a police officer, it's important to listen to their stories more than once. I tried to stay focused on what Josh was saying, but I couldn't keep my anxiety level down. When we finally got to the clinic, I was so glad I had my husband there because I wasn't sure where to go or what to do. He helped me find the main desk and check in and everything, and then we sat down in the waiting area. We'd showed up early, so we had to wait about twenty minutes before the nurse called "Brian" back... Of course, that's not my name, but I was the girl she was looking for.

My temperature was high, my weight was higher, and we made it into the exam room. I warned the nurse that I probably had high blood pressure because of my anxiety, but when she took it we found out that it was still nice and low. I was relieved. The nurse went through my medical history with me, and then a resident came in to help me before the doctor. The resident was very nice, and I tried to give her as thorough of information as I had. When the doctor finally came in, relief flushed over me. She was young, personable, and really listened to what we had to say. She sent me to the lab for a few tests and referred Josh to a doctor who specializes in male fertility (so we can get his swimmers tested too). She advised me to use Clearblue ovulation tests (she said those ones, specifically) for the next few months so that we can be sure I'm ovulating, and she told us we need to be doing the dirty deed more often! I loved my doctor! She made me feel validated and comforted and empowered.

I know it took me a long time to make this appointment, but I am so glad I did! Ladies, if you're struggling with fertility, go get yourself a doctor's appointment! I didn't get any real answers today, but just knowing that I'm finally DOING something about my situation makes me feel so much better than sitting around and waiting for pregnancy to just happen to me. I have been depressed about this situation for too long, and just having a doctor listen to my concerns and validate my opinions made me feel a million times better.

I'll find out the results of the blood work in a few days. I may not have answers right now, but I'm on my way to finding them. However this whole family thing ends up working out, I am so glad that I have so many wonderful friends and family members supporting me. Your texts, messages, comments, and calls helped me feel so much less alone going into this today. I appreciate all of you so much. My sweet husband was great today too! He distracted me, loved me, and reminded me why we're doing this. I don't know how I would ever be this strong without him. He's just really great!

Sorry I don't have more answers now, but we are one step closer to building our family. Wish us luck on the next leg of this journey!

No comments: